For a New Entrant in the Medical Devices Field
Project Context and Scope
A leading global technology firm wanted to assess different options for entering the Medical Devices industry. First steps had already been taken and now the company wanted to systematically review all fields in which a synergistic rationale with existing capabilities could be created. Ultimately the goal was to help design a market entry strategy including a short-list for acquisition candidates and joint venture options.
Approach: 2 Partners, 1 Associate, 1 Analyst for 1 ½ Years
Stage 1 — Review of selected segments of the medical devices industry. Focus on R&D option space, commercial potential and possible synergies with the client organisation
Stage 2 — Detailed opportunity assessment of short-listed market segments
- Unmet needs and technological trends
- Market size and growth
- Business case
Stage 3 – Development of a market entry strategy
- Situational analysis
- Benchmarking of other companies that have entered the healthcare industry
- Detailed analysis of investment opportunities – where to invest?
- Analysis of investment options – how to invest?
Stage 4 —Ongoing implementation support
- Generation of a long-list for Partnering
- Criteria-based screening to create short-list
- Valuation of business as stand-alone and with partnering / acquisitions
- Recommendations and roadmap
Key Benefits to the Client
- Catenion created a “level-playing field” in an area that was mostly new to the client organisation
- In addition, Catenion supported presentations to the client’s executive management team, created buy-in and enabled fact-based decision-making
- Ultimately the client decided to pursue one joint venture opportunity